Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pregnant Women are Sweeter!

I am not sure that my husband would agree but the mosquitos sure do. No joke, I have lived in Arizona for 11+ years and have maybe had 2 mosquito bites. In fact, it's one of my positive things to remember when it's 115! Lately I have been getting eaten alive on my nightly walks. Come to find out that it has been scientifically proven that pregnant women get twice as many bites. I researched and found that a natural repellent is Listerine; the thyme is said to repel. Minty fresh legs this evening it is!

From my google search:
Have you noticed more interest from the insect community now that you’re pregnant?
There’s a good chance that you are not imagining things. Pregnant women do get more mosquito bites! Around twice as many, according to one study. Why?
Mosquitoes use heat to see. So that furnace you’ve been feeling in bed at night is to blame. It’s easier for a mosquito to find you due to your higher body temperature.
Pregnant women also exhale more carbon dioxide than other people, which is another way mosquitoes track down their victims.


Home Remedies for Mosquito Bites:

Hair spray -- applying hair spray to a mosquito bite stops the desire to itch and the pain.


Toothpaste -- A dab of toothpaste will also relieve the need to itch.

Aspirin -- To control the inflammation, break open an aspirin tablet and rub it over the mosquito bite.

2 comments:

shell_baby said...

That is very interesting! You know, when we were in Colorado over the the 4th of July, the mosquitos were HUGE and I was terrified. We were in the middle of nowhere with no repellant, and Ashley said she had a tour guide in Fiji that told her to use vanilla extract... so long story short I hunted down vanilla extract in the kitchen and used that - we sat outside all weekend and I had ONE mosquito bite! :)

Beautiful Day said...

Impressive, that might smell better than the minty fresh too. Then again, it might trigger me to make some chocolate chips!

Post a Comment